Helichrysum sibthorpii was first found by Sibthorp and Bauer on their ascent of Mt Athos on 11 August 1787, and subsequently described as Gnaphalium virgineum, aptly named after the Holy Virgin, the only woman on Athos. When later transferred to the genus Helichrysum, it had to change epithet for nomenclatural reasons and is now named after its discoverer. It is a rare local endemic, confined to crevices of limestone cliffs in the upper 100 m of the Holy Mountain.
–IoI –NPi –SPi –Pe –StE –EC –NC NE –NAe –WAe –Kik –KK –EAe
Greece (East Aegean islands ‒ absent; East Central Greece ‒ absent; Ionian Islands ‒ absent; Kiklades ‒ absent; Kriti and Karpathos ‒ absent; North Aegean islands ‒ absent; North Central Greece ‒ absent; North Pindos ‒ absent; North-East Greece ‒ present; Peloponnisos ‒ absent; South Pindos ‒ absent; Sterea Ellas ‒ absent; West Aegean islands ‒ absent)
Cliffs, rocks, walls, ravines, boulders